Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Just how Catholic are we?

As Catholic Bloggers, we read each others stuff. Its a small circle most of the time. How do you respond to this recent question a Catholic friend of mine posed:

"You have a Catholic Blog? Wow. (think "fanatic") Thats a little overboard...I mean...I feel I'm as devout as any Catholic but to go to that extent, thats a bit extreme."

Now...getting beyond that you could take this as an indication of spiritual depth of the person questioning...so put that aside for a minute or two and consider the question objectively. How "Catholic" are we to put study, energy and time into this, ahem "hobby"? I dont see this as fanatical or extreme, and yet my first inclination is to respond citing the convenience of this technology and using it for Evangelization, but thats just a thread in the cloth here. Its a discovery process, growing a community of believers, etc.

You?

4 comments:

~Joseph the Worker said...

Well I have to admit that I am a religious fanatic of sorts. My Catholic faith comes up with almost every single person I talk to in one way or another, and I love to read about it, write about it, and etc. etc. I would say we are very Catholic though, but blogging in general is something that I think most people don't end up sticking with for very long. It is time consuming and people tend to lose interest in things after a small amount of time.

The Catholic Journeyman said...

Word, Joseph.
I have overdone many things in life to a fault, however, this Faith may be one that actually calls for it.

Anonymous said...

I don't think blogging about your faith is any more "extreme" than blogging about your life. I am tremendously blessed and encouraged by other Catholic bloggers - whether they are writing about their conversions, homeschooling or offering their opinions on current events.

I've maintained a "family update" blog for about two years and recently started one to detail my own journey from Calvinist Protestantism to the one, holy, apostolic and catholic Church founded by Christ Himself. My goal is simple - to share my story and, hopefully, encourage someone else along the way.

Fanatical? Hardly.

I look forward to getting to "know" you through your blog. I linked through Joe the Worker's site.

Jen

Anonymous said...

I blog for many reasons, but one of which is for my family. They were getting tired of me yelling at my computer screen or getting up from my desk to pace and rant at some anti-Catholic comment I found on a website. Now I can rant on my blog and feel like maybe, even one person out there somewhere in cyberspace has read it, instead of knowing my deaf computer screen hears nothing I say to it. Blogging is a great way to debunk the nonsense I find on the Internet and come across in my daily life as a Catholic. It allows me to share my faith and views to anyone who stops by to check out my blog. The Catholic Blogging World is wonderful. I enjoy reading other Catholic blogs and often get inspired by and learn from the Catholics I come across online.